Turkey schnitzel with lemon and caper butter
Serves 2 | total time
Turkey schnitzel with lemon and caper butterSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Serves 2 | total time
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 2 turkey breast fillets (about 200g each)
- 100ml buttermilk
- 40g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 30g dried onion flakes (we used Whitworths Dried Onions)
- 30g coconut flour
- 20g sesame seeds
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 40ml milk
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- 100g unsalted butter
- some of the juice and the finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 duck eggs (or you can use hens’ eggs)
- 10 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
To serve (optional)
- gherkins, green pickled chillies and marinated artichokes
Marinate the turkey fillets overnight
- One at a time, bash the turkey fillets between 2 sheets of clingfilm with a rolling pin to flatten to an even thickness, about 1cm.
- Put the turkey breasts in a bowl with the buttermilk and leave to tenderise for at least 2 hours, or in the fridge overnight.
- For the coating, mix the grated Parmesan, onion flakes, coconut flour and sesame seeds together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the milk.
- Dip the turkey fillets into the egg mix and then into the coating, turning to ensure that they are covered all over. Warm a little oil in a nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add 40g of the butter; let it melt and turn golden brown. Fry the turkey fillets, one at a time, on both sides until browned and crisp. Set aside; keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper, then melt the remaining butter in the pan. Cook to a rich golden brown (the noisette stage); don’t let it burn. Add about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, taste and add more if you would like the sauce a little sharper. Add the capers and lemon zest. Season and stir in the chopped parsley.
- While the turkey fillets finish cooking, heat a splash of oil in a frying pan and fry the duck eggs until the whites are set. Season with salt and pepper. Put the turkey fillets on warmed plates; top with the fried duck eggs. Garnish with the anchovies and spoon on the sauce. Serve gherkins, pickled chillies and marinated artichokes on the side, if you like.