Summery lentil and tomato Bolognese
Recipe photograph by Martin Poole
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 x 400g tin Puy or green lentils, drained
- 1 x 150g tub fresh red pesto
- 400g dried linguine
- 1 x 28g pack fresh basil, reserving a few leaves
- 4 heaped tbsp vegetarian hard cheese or Pecorino, finely grated
Step by step
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and celery; cook gently for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes and 100ml water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lentils and pesto. Simmer gently for a further 5 minutes; season.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water according to pack instructions.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, tear in the basil and toss together. To serve, scatter over the reserved basil leaves and finish with grated cheese.