Tomato and pepper arrabbiata pasta
Serves 4 | total time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds left in, finely chopped
- 50ml vodka or white wine (optional)
- 1 x 400g tin plum tomatoes
- 1 x 290g jar Taste the Difference marinated sundried peppers in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 350g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- a handful of Parmesan, grated (or vegetarian hard cheese), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan; cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes; lower the heat. Add the vodka or white wine, if using, and let it bubble for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and break up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook gently for about 15 minutes; add the peppers for the final few minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving some cooking water in a jug. Using tongs, toss the pasta and sauce together and add about 100ml of the cooking water to loosen the sauce slightly. Taste for seasoning and stir in the parsley. Serve with Parmesan shavings on top.
Tip Adding a splash of vodka or white wine to a tomato sauce is a great way to intensify the flavours and add depth.