Serves 4 | prep 5 mins | total time
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 rounded tsp cornflour
- 300ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1-2 tbsp stem ginger syrup (from a jar of stem ginger), according to taste
You can make the custard beforehand and serve it cold.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and cornflour.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat the milk with the double cream and the cinnamon stick until it just reaches simmering point.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the stem ginger syrup.
Tip This goes wonderfully with the Sticky ginger and rhubarb pudding (see the related recipes).
- Pour the hot milk and cream into the egg mixture in the bowl and gently whisk to combine. Rinse out the pan, then return the custard mixture to it. Return to the hob and heat, stirring, until the custard is a coating consistency. Don't let the custard come to the boil – just keep it on a consistent low heat and it will thicken.