Red wine gravy
Serves 6 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 echalion shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 125ml red wine (check the label to ensure it is vegan)
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 1 star anise
- 2 tsp tamari sauce
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly
- a pinch of mixed dried herbs
The gravy can be made 24 hours ahead, keep chilled. Reheat gently to serve.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the shallots for 5 minutes until transparent. Add the flour and tomato purée and cook for 1 minute, then gradually stir in the red wine, followed by 500ml cold water, whisking all the time. Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Add the vegetable stock cube, star anise, tamari sauce, redcurrant jelly and herbs, then simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Strain through a sieve and serve hot.