Sweet potatoes stuffed with chickpeas and feta
Sweet potatoes stuffed with chickpeas and fetaSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
This thrifty supper is vegetarian and gluten-free. Plus, it makes enough chickpea filling to pack for lunch the next day!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and cubed
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 100g vegetarian feta, crumbled
- ½ x 31g pack coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 large roasted red pepper from a jar, drained and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil
The remaining chickpea salad keeps in the fridge for lunch the next day.
Heat the grill to medium high. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork, and microwave on high for 12 minutes (based on 800W), turning over halfway, until tender when pressed and soft right through to the middle.
Meanwhile, tip the chickpeas into a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher to break the skins so they absorb more flavour.
Toss the avocado with the vinegar, then add to the chickpeas with the feta, coriander, red pepper, onion and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix together with some seasoning.
Rub each sweet potato with 1 teaspoon of oil and grill for 2 minutes each side to crisp the skin. Split the potatoes and divide half the feta mix between them. Chill the rest for lunch the next day. Serve with salad if you like.