Butternut noodles with spinach and ricotta
Serves 2 | total time
- 40g pine nuts or sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- a pinch of crushed dried chilli flakes
- 1 x 300g pack boodles (butternut squash noodles)
- 1 x 200g pack baby leaf spinach
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to garnish
- juice and finely grated zest of 1⁄2 small lemon
- 25g grated Parmesan, or vegetarian alternative
- 125g ricotta
- Warm a large frying pan over a medium heat and dry fry the pine nuts or sunflower seeds, rattling the pan frequently, until they're just golden. Tip them out onto a plate and reserve.
- Return the frying pan to the hob and warm the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for 30 seconds before tipping in the boodles. Gently warm them through for about 2 minutes, being careful not to break them up.
- Add the toasted pine nuts, spinach, thyme, lemon juice and zest, season well, and stir until the spinach is just wilted and the seasonings well distributed. Quickly toss through most of the Parmesan.
- Divide between 2 warmed bowls, spoon over the ricotta and finish with a few more thyme leaves and the rest of the Parmesan; serve immediately.