Baileys and chocolate roulade
For the sponge
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 125g caster sugar
- 40g cocoa powder, plus 2 tsp to dust
For the filling
- 200ml double cream
- 50ml Baileys cream liqueur
For the white chocolate drizzle
- 50g white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 1 x 12g packs of Dr Oetker giant chocolate stars
- 1 x Sainsbury's Gold Edible Glitter Spray
Step by step
Assemble up to 2 hours in advance and keep chilled. The assembled, undecorated roulade can be frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost for 4 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Line a 33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin or baking tray with baking paper.
- Using a hand whisk or freestanding mixer, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy and the beaters leave a ribbon-like trail when lifted (about 4-5 minutes). Sift over 40g cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, and fold in carefully with a large metal spoon. It will be quite a thick paste.
- Clean the beaters well and in a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Spoon a third of the egg white into the yolk mixture and mix in to loosen it up, then carefully fold in the remaining egg white in two additions, making sure not to knock too much air out.
- Pour the mix into the prepared tin and smooth with the back of a spoon. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the sponge is well risen, light in colour and springs back to the touch.
- Leave the sponge to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Have a sheet of baking paper ready on the work surface and sift over the remaining cocoa. Carefully turn the sponge out onto the prepared paper, so its lining paper is on top, then remove and discard the lining. Using the cocoa-dusted paper to help you, roll the sponge up from one of the shorter edges, into a tight cylinder. Set aside until completely cool.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream for the filling with the Baileys until it forms soft peaks, then chill. To make the drizzle, add the white chocolate and cream to a heatproof bowl and set over a small pan of steaming water. Allow the chocolate to melt and stir until smooth, remove from the heat and set aside until ready to use.
To assemble the roulade, unroll the sponge, keeping the shortest edge facing you, and spread the cream over in an even layer, leaving a border of 2cm at the furthest edge. Re-roll the roulade and transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle the white chocolate mix over the top.
- Spray the chocolate stars with gold glitter, place on top of the roulade and serve.