Fennel, pear and apple slaw with buttermilk dressing
Fennel, pear and apple slaw with buttermilk dressingSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
This fruity coleslaw recipe from The Hang Fire Barbecue girls is the perfect side dish to any barbecued meat
- 2 small or 1 large fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 200g white cabbage (about 1⁄4 of a standard-sized cabbage), finely sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 green apple, such as Granny Smith
- 1 slightly under-ripe pear
- 2 dill sprigs, stalks discarded and fronds chopped
- 1⁄2 x 25g pack chives
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
The dressed slaw will keep for a day in the fridge before going too soggy.
Put the fennel and cabbage into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and mix through.
Peel and core the apple and pear, slice them into matchsticks and add to the vegetables. Mix well to coat in the lemon juice, so that they don’t turn brown.
In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing and add to the slaw. Scatter over the chopped dill and snip in the chives. Season and stir, then chill the slaw for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavours to develop before serving.