Chilli tomato pasta
Chilli tomato pastaSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
This deliciously easy chilli tomato pasta recipe is vegetarian and vegan so it ticks all the boxes. Pair with garlic dough balls to add something a little special
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, sliced finely
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, chopped (deseed, if you wish)
- 1 courgette, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 125ml red wine or vegetable stock
- 350g rigatoni or other dried pasta
- a few black pitted olives (optional)
- a few capers (optional) allow 1 tbsp
The sauce freezes well; try making a larger batch and freezing extra portions.
Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions, celery and carrot for 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic, chilli and courgette. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the wine or stock, season, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Cook the pasta following the pack instructions. Next, add the olives to the sauce with the capers, if you are using them. Once the pasta is cooked, drain then add to the tomato pasta sauce. Serve with garlic dough balls.
Tip To make a hidden vegetable sauce, whizz the veg in a food processor. When the sauce is cooked, blend until smooth using a hand blender.