Smoked mackerel, fennel and orange quinoa
Serves 2 | total time
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large orange
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 x 205g pouch Merchant Gourmet ready-to-eat quinoa, grains and red rice mix (or similar)
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed, flaked into large chunks
- Trim and reserve the fennel fronds. Cut the fennel in half, then cut each half into thin wedges through the root. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan and fry the fennel with a pinch of salt and pepper on a medium-high heat until slightly softened and just starting to caramelise around the edges.
- Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to remove the peel and pith from the orange, then separate into segments, reserving any juice. Squeeze the pith to get out every drop of juice; transfer the juice to a small bowl or jug and whisk together with the sherry vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Tip the quinoa into a large bowl (you can warm it, according to packet instructions, if you like) and gently toss it together with the fennel, orange, onion, mackerel and the dressing. Divide between 2 plates and scatter with the reserved fennel fronds.