Big bowl veggie chilli
Serves 6 | total time
- 2 onions, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 green pepper, deseeded
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed
- 1 large sweet potato (about 300g), peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 2 x 400g tins red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 1 x 500g carton passata
- a handful of coriander leaves
- 3 handfuls of tortilla chips, to serve
- 150ml soured cream, to serve
- 1 x 170g pot of guacamole, to serve
- Roughly chop all the veg and the garlic; whiz in a food processor until finely chopped; it doesn't matter if there are bigger chunks left. Or finely chop them by hand.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan. Add all the vegetables and cook, stirring frequently for 8-10 minutes, until starting to soften. Stir in the spices, season, then cook for 30 seconds. Add the kidney beans and passata. Half-fill one of the tins with water, swirl it around then pour into the other tin and the carton of passata, and tip into the pan. Bring to the boil and stir well. Partially cover the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve in warm bowls, sprinkled with coriander, with tortilla chips and a spoonful of soured cream and guacamole.