Kale, pea and spring onion stew
Serves 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1.25 litres hot vegetable stock
- 100g orzo pasta
- 200g frozen peas
- 400g shredded kale
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- a handful of mint, leaves shredded
- 25g pecorino (or vegetarian goats’ cheese), finely grated
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and 4 of the spring onions with a pinch of salt and cook gently for 7-8 minutes, until tender.
- Add the stock, cover and bring to the boil, then add the orzo. Cover and simmer vigorously for 8 minutes, then add the peas and kale, season, and simmer for another 4 minutes, until the pasta is cooked and the kale has wilted.
- Stir in the lemon and mint. Serve in bowls with the remaining spring onions and the grated cheese sprinkled over.