Nectarine and vodka jellies
Makes 6 | prep 20 mins | total time
- 4 large ripe nectarines
- 150g caster sugar
- pared zest (in thick strips) and juice of 1 large lemon
- 400ml sparkling water
- 1 x 6.5g sachet Sainsbury’s vegetarian gel
- 100ml vodka
- 200ml whipping or double cream
Make the jellies up to 2 days ahead, cover and chill.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Stone the nectarines and cut the flesh into large dice, then tip it into a large roasting tin. Sprinkle the sugar all over the fruit and add the pared lemon zest and juice, too; toss together.
- Roast the fruit for 12 minutes until tender and the sugar has dissolved into a thick syrup. Tip the cooked fruit into a sieve set over a medium saucepan and leave the juices to strain into the pan (about 125ml). Set the fruit aside and pour the sparkling water into the syrup. Sprinkle over the vegetarian gel and whisk to dissolve. Place on the hob and bring to the boil. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat. Stir in the vodka.
- Divide the roasted fruit between 6 glasses, reserving a few to top the jellies, if you like, and discarding the lemon strips. Pour over the liquid and put the glasses into the fridge to set for a couple of hours (or overnight).
- When ready to serve, whip the cream to soft peaks and add a spoonful on top of each jelly and any reserved pieces of roasted fruit.