Very chocolaty muffins
Makes 6 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 150g dark chocolate (about 50% cocoa solids)
- 1 x 150ml carton double cream
- 75g unsalted butter, in pieces
- 125g milk chocolate
- 50ml semi-skimmed milk
- 50g dark muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 175g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- Chop 75g of the dark chocolate into small pieces. Put in a bowl with 40ml (3 tablespoons) of the cream, set over a pan of barely simmering water and stir to melt. Tip into a plastic box, cover and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Melt the butter; cool slightly.
- Roughly chop the rest of the dark chocolate and the milk chocolate. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the rest of the cream, the milk, sugar, eggs and melted butter.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and cinnamon. Add a pinch of salt and the chopped chocolate; fold gently to combine.
- Divide half the mixture between 6 tulip muffin cases in a muffin tin. Add 1 teaspoon of the chilled chocolate to the middle of each one. Top with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Set aside for 20 minutes, then eat while warm and gooey.