Passion fruit, mint and lime rum cocktails
Serves 8 | prep 20 mins | total time
- juice of 8 limes (you want 150ml juice; keep the lime shells), plus 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 8 large passion fruit, halved and pulp removed (you want 200ml), plus extra halves to serve, if you like
- 1 stick of lemongrass, bruised and cut into short lengths
- 1 x 28g pack mint, leaves only
- 1 x 250ml bottle Monin gomme (pure cane sugar syrup)
- 300ml white rum
- 500ml soda water, chilled
- 500ml ginger ale, chilled
Make up to the end of step 1 the day before, then up to the end of step 2 a few hours before serving; keep chilled.
- Put the lime juice, the lime shells, the passion fruit pulp, the pieces of lemongrass and about a third of the mint in a jug. 'Muddle' all the ingredients together with the end of a rolling pin, stir in the gomme and rum. Set aside for an hour or so if time allows.
- Strain the cocktail mix through a sieve, pushing with the back of a spoon to make sure you get as much pulp and flavour as possible; discard the lime shells, lemongrass, mint and passion fruit seeds.
- Put some ice and mint leaves in each of 8 highball glasses, fill each one a third full with the cocktail mix and top up with equal amounts of soda water and ginger ale.
- Add a lime wedge to each glass and half a passion fruit if you are feeling fancy.