Hot toddy drizzle cake
Serves 10 | prep 30 mins | total time
- 180ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 225g self-raising flour
- 30g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 400g dessert apples, peeled, cored and diced small
- 2 tbsp spiced or dark rum
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 225g light brown muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ red-skinned apple, sliced thinly, for decoration
For the drizzle
- 4 tbsp spiced rum
- 125g icing sugar, sifted
Bake the cake up to 1 day ahead, cool completely before icing.
- Heat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and 5 spice. In a separate small bowl, mix the diced apple with the rum and honey.
- Whisk together the oil and the sugar in a large bowl. Then whisk in the eggs, one by one. Once the eggs are fully incorporated, whisk in the dry ingredients, then fold in the apple mixture including all the liquid. Pour into the prepared tin, then top with the red apple slices. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, until risen.
- While the cake is still warm, use a cocktail stick to poke holes all over the top of the cake and pour over 2 tablespoons of the spiced rum.
- When the cake has cooled completely, remove from the tin. Mix the remaining rum with the icing sugar and spoon this on top of the cake.