Cheat’s sausage cassoulet
Serves 3 | total time 35 mins
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 x 400g pack Toulouse-inspired sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 250ml hot chicken stock
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a nonstick deep sauté or frying pan until hot. Add the sausages and fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the pan; cover with a lid and cook gently for 10 minutes. Take a spoonful of the cannellini beans and, using a fork, mash with the tomato paste to a rough paste.
- After the 10 minutes, add the bean and tomato paste. Return the sausages to the pan, with the bay leaf and the rest of the beans. Add the stock; season.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes until reduced and the sausages are cooked through. Season to taste. Finish with parsley; serve with crusty bread.