Strawberry tumble tart
Serves 8 | prep 30 mins | total time 2 hrs
- 300ml whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 10g cornflour
- 5 tbsp Tiptree strawberry conserve
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 500g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 x 300ml tub double cream
For the chocolate pastry
- 150g plain flour
- 25g cocoa
- 125g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 40g icing sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
Bake the pastry case and make the custard filling several hours in advance. Keep cool but don't refrigerate. The assembled tart will hold for 30 minutes
- To make the pastry, briefly whiz the flour, cocoa and butter in a food processor to resemble crumbs. Add the icing sugar, egg yolks and a pinch of salt, and whiz until combined. Press into a ball, flatten with your palm and wrap in clingfilm. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 2.5-3cm deep 20cm fluted tart tin; chill again for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- Line the tart case with nonstick baking paper and ceramic baking beans (or rice); bake for 20 minutes or until set. Remove the paper and beans and return the tart to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
- For the custard filling, heat the milk to scalding point, then turn off the heat and leave to cool slightly. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale, then add the flours and whisk to combine. Gradually whisk in the milk. Wipe the milk pan, then pour the custard mixture back into it and gently bring to simmering point, stirring constantly. As soon as the custard reaches the boil, turn off the heat and tip into a mixing bowl. Leave to cool completely, giving it a whisk now and then. Heat 3 tablespoons of the strawberry conserve with the lemon juice, sieve and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream until it forms peaks and fold into the cold custard. Spoon the remaining conserve into the tart case and spread it out. Spoon the custard on top and spread that out, too. Toss the strawberries with the conserve and lemon mixture and pile on top of the tart.