Colombian-style chicken stew
Colombian-style chicken stewSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Melissa Hemsley's recipe is low-calorie comfort food that's perfect for a chilly evening.This dish can be easily doubled to serve 4
- ½ tbsp ghee
- 4 skin-on chicken thighs on the bone
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ medium celeriac, about 400g, peeled and diced into 2cm cubes
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 250ml fresh chicken stock
- 125g frozen sweetcorn
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 heaped tbsp capers, drained
- 1/8 tsp crushed dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp soured cream
The stew keeps for up to 2 days in the fridge, or can be frozen (add the lime juice before freezing, to preserve the colour of the celeriac).
- Melt the ghee in a casserole over a medium heat. Season the chicken and then brown really well on all sides for 5-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same pan, fry the onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the celeriac, carrot, bay leaves, oregano and stock, season, stir and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pot, skin side up. Simmer, lid on, for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken and veg are tender.
- Add the sweetcorn and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice and season to taste. Divide the stew between bowls and top with capers, chillies, coriander and soured cream.