Braised fennel with figs
Braised fennel with figsSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Get figgy with Bruno Loubet's braised fennel with figs recipe - a lovely sweet and sticky side dish
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp oregano or thyme leaves
- 4 figs, halved
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp good balsamic vinegar
- a small handful of basil leaves
Prepare and plate up a couple of hours ahead, cover and serve at room temperaturer
- Trim the fennel and slice into quarters, so that the root holds each wedge together. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the fennel. Cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until it is light golden brown.
Add the orange juice, garlic, oregano or thyme and some seasoning; cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Take the lid off, increase the heat and cook for another 5 minutes – by the end the fennel should be soft and glazed by the reduced liquid. Put to one side.
When you are ready to serve, place the fennel on a serving dish and add the figs. Drizzle over the extra-virgin olive oil and the balsamic. Finish with the basil leaves and some fresh black pepper. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by Bruno Loubet