Cheat’s ice-cream cake
Serves 10 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 1 x 900ml tub Carte D’Or vanilla ice cream
- 1 x 900ml tub Carte D’Or strawberry ice cream
- 150g pack dark chocolate chips, roughly chopped
- 1 x 500ml tub Häagen-Dazs Belgian chocolate ice cream
Assemble and freeze the cake up to a week ahead.
- Remove the vanilla and strawberry ice creams from the freezer to soften slightly. Meanwhile, overlap 2 x 45cm-long sheets of clingfilm at their centres, forming a cross. Use the clingfilm to line a 12cm x 26cm, 7cm-deep loaf tin, letting the excess hang over the sides.
- Scoop the vanilla ice cream into the loaf tin and smooth into a level layer using the back of a metal spoon. Sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate chips. Scoop the strawberry ice cream on top and level. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips; freeze for 15-20 minutes until firm. Remove the chocolate ice cream from the freezer to soften slightly.
- Smooth the chocolate ice cream on top of the chocolate chips. Fold over the excess clingfilm to cover and freeze until very firm – at least 3 hours.
Tip A knife dipped in hot water from the kettle and then wiped dry will make slicing easier.
When ready to serve, remove the cake from the freezer and turn out. Slice and serve immediately.
Drizzle with slightly cooled melted chocolate or ready-made chocolate sauce just before serving for extra indulgence.