Quick chicken and lentil curry
Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 500g skinless chicken thigh fillets, each cut into 6
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1½ tbsp medium curry powder
- 100g dried red lentils, rinsed
- 400ml chicken stock
- 250g basmati rice
- 150g spinach
- 125g low-fat natural yogurt
- Season the chicken. Heat the oil in a casserole, add the chicken and fry over a high heat for 5 minutes until browned.
- Add the onions and fry for 3 minutes or so, stirring. Reduce the heat slightly, stir in the curry powder and cook for about 1 minute to release the flavour. Add the lentils and chicken stock to the casserole, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender and beginning to break up.
- Meanwhile, place the rice in a saucepan with 600ml boiling water from the kettle and a pinch of salt. Bring the water back to the boil, stir once then pop the lid on the pan, turn the heat right down and cook, undisturbed, for 15 minutes until tender.
Tip If you’d like this to be a gluten-free recipe, please ensure your stock is guaranteed gluten-free.
- Check the seasoning of the curry then stir in the spinach leaves and cook until they just begin to wilt. Swirl in the yogurt and serve the curry with the rice.
How to plate up curry