Mango chicken curry
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 x 320g pack chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 100g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp mild or medium curry powder
- 11⁄2 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 200g peeled mango
- 200ml light coconut milk (freeze the rest)
- 100g young spinach
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
Step by step
- Heat half the oil in a wide pan. Chop each chicken thigh into about 6 chunks and add to the pan with the onion, plus some seasoning. Fry on a high heat for about 8 minutes or until well coloured.
- Meanwhile add the rice to a pan with 250ml water and a pinch of salt. Stir, bring to the boil then cover and cook undisturbed on a low heat for 12 minutes. Set aside until needed.
- Add the rest of the oil to the chicken pan, followed by the curry powder and garlic and ginger paste. Cook for about a minute, stirring to combine well. Thickly slice the mango; reserve 1 or 2 slices then add the rest to the pan, followed by the coconut milk, and mix together. Bring to a simmer, cover the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and bubble for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened. Add the spinach and cook until wilted down; season to taste.
- Stir most of the coriander into the rice and divide between two bowls, then spoon in the curry. Finely dice the reserved mango and scatter on as a garnish, with the rest of the coriander. Leftovers freeze well.