Best-ever sharing nachos
Serves 2 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g lean beef mince
- ½ tbsp spicy chipotle paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- a handful of chopped coriander
- 200g plain salted tortilla chips
- 50g cheddar, grated
- 2-3 tbsp soured cream
- 10-12 slices green jalapeños from 1 x 200g jar
For the salsa
- 3-4 ripe large vine tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- juice of ½ lime
- a pinch of caster sugar
Make the mince and salsa a few hours in advance and set aside until ready to reheat and assemble.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes to soften, then add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add the beef mince, increase the heat and fry, stirring to break up the mince, until browned all over.
- Season and add the chipotle paste, spices and tomato purée and cook for a minute then add 150ml water. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the coriander.
- Heat the grill to medium high. Meanwhile, mix all the salsa ingredients together, adding seasoning to taste.
- Tip the tortilla chips into an ovenproof dish. Add the mince and salsa and roughly mix together. Scatter the cheese over the top and put the dish under the grill for 4-5 minutes to melt the cheese. Dollop over the soured cream and the jalapeños and serve immediately.