Oven-dried tomatoes in garlic & herb oil
Makes 2 x 125ml jars | prep 10 mins | total time
- 500g pomodorino, baby plum or cherry tomatoes, halved (a mixture of red and golden looks particularly pretty)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 150ml olive or groundnut oil
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C, fan 100°C, gas ½, and line 1 large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Put the halved tomatoes in a bowl with the sliced garlic and herbs, drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat, then arrange the tomatoes, cut-side up, on the lined baking sheets. Sprinkle over any garlic and thyme left in the bowl.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 3½ hours, or until they have shrunk considerably and are dry to the touch but not fully dried out. If you taste one it should still be a bit juicy in the middle.
- Pack the warm dried tomatoes into two sterilised jars and pour half a teaspoon of sherry vinegar into each. Warm the remaining oil in a small saucepan, then pour it over the tomatoes, making sure the tomatoes are completely submerged. Seal and store in a cool dry place for a few days before using.