One-pan mushroom and leek pie
Prep time: 40 min
Recipe photograph by Maja Smend
This simple and comforting mushroom filo pie is one of our favourite autumnal meals. It’s lightly spiced with nutmeg and mustard, which pair brilliantly with the earthy mushrooms, and it’s all topped with lovely crunchy filo sheets
Prep time: 40 min
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp extra to brush
- 600g mixed mushrooms, roughly sliced (we used 200g speciality mix, plus 400g chestnut mushrooms)
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves chopped
- 150g young spinach
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or margarine (such as Flora or Violife)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml oat milk
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 vegan vegetable stock cube
- 4 large sheets of filo pastry from a 270g pack
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds
Step by step
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to an ovenproof frying pan (about 26cm) on a medium-high heat. Fry the mushrooms for 12-15 minutes until there is no moisture left and the mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add the leeks, garlic, rosemary and some seasoning. Turn the heat down slightly and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pan, cook until wilted then tip the mixture into a bowl. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- Wipe the pan clean, pop it back on a medium heat and melt the vegan butter. Add the flour, stir until combined and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour the oat milk into the pan, then add the nutmeg, wholegrain mustard and soy sauce. Crumble in the stock cube and simmer gently for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly, whisking regularly.
Return the mushroom mixture back to the pan and give everything a good stir. Remove the pan from the heat, scrunch up the filo pastry and cover the pie with the filo sheets. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil then sprinkle over the sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp.Kitchen tipIf you don’t have an ovenproof pan, simply prepare the filling in a regular pan, then tip into an ovenproof dish, top with the filo and bake. For a cheaper option, use Imperfectly Tasty mushrooms instead of mixed mushrooms.