Quick Irish Stew
Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 300g diced lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100g pearl barley
- 500g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 200g kale
- Heat a little oil in a casserole and brown the lamb, in batches, transferring it to a plate as you go. Set aside.
- Soften the onion in the casserole, then stir in the pearl barley and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and return the lamb to the casserole. Add the stock and thyme and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 50 minutes until the pearl barley is tender.
- Stir in the kale, cover, and let it wilt gently for 5 minutes. Season to taste.