Cashew-date energy balls
Makes about 16 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cashew butter (we like Meridian)
- 1 tbsp agave, maple syrup or honey
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g cashew kernels
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 100g stoned dates
The balls will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks, or the freezer for 2 months.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan, remove from the heat and stir in the cashew butter, syrup and ground cinnamon until smooth.
- Grind the cashews in a mini food processor until finely chopped (some should turn into powder, but you still want a few chunks), tip into a bowl and stir in 25g coconut.
- Chop the dates in the processor then add the coconut oil mixture and whiz to a paste. Stir this into the nut mixture in the bowl.
- Scatter the rest of the coconut on a large plate. Taking 1 tablespoon of the cashew-date paste at a time, roll into balls. You should get about 16. Roll in the desiccated coconut to coat and chill, covered, for about 1 hour or until firm.
You can vary the nuts and dried fruit in this recipe; Brazil nuts and apricots work well. Feel free to omit the desiccated coconut and roll the balls in extra chopped nuts instead. A few dark chocolate chips are a good addition.