Strawberry Bakewell scones
Makes 12 | prep 25 mins | total time
- 150g strawberries
- 100g golden marzipan
- 450g self-raising flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 100ml full-fat natural yogurt
- 100-150ml whole milk
- 25g flaked almonds
- a dusting of icing sugar, to dust
Freeze the marzipan and strawberries up to a day ahead. Scones are best eaten on the day they are made, but can also be frozen.
- Hull the strawberries and cut into pieces about the size of a hazelnut. Cut the marzipan into similar-sized pieces. Spread both out on a small lined baking tray; freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight – this will make them easier to stir into the mix and prevent the marzipan from burning as the scones cook.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Sift the flour with a pinch of salt and the baking powder into a food processor. Add the chilled butter and whiz until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Tip into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Crack the egg into a measuring jug, add the yogurt and make up to 300ml with milk (you'll need about 100ml). Whisk together. Make a well in the centre of the 'breadcrumb' mixture, add all but 2 tablespoons of the milk mixture and mix together very gently, adding a little more of the milk mixture if necessary, to form a soft and slightly sticky dough. Mix in the frozen strawberry and marzipan pieces, taking care not to overwork the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly and briefly until just smooth. Then lightly pat out the dough into a long rectangle that measures 40cm x 9-10cm and is 3cm thick. Brush the top with the remaining milk mixture, then cut the dough into 12 triangular scones.
- Place the scones, spaced well apart, onto 2 lined baking sheets, and sprinkle each one with a few flaked almonds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed up, golden brown and cooked through. Leave on a wire rack to cool. To serve, dust with icing sugar, split in half and top with clotted cream or crème fraîche and strawberry jam.