Makes 800ml |
- 70cl bottle of gin
- 150g golden caster or demerara sugar
- 100g root ginger, sliced (no need to peel)
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks, roughly broken
- ½ a nutmeg, grated
- Tip the gin into a lidded container and add the sugar, ginger, cloves, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. Stir well, cover and leave to infuse for 3-4 days, stirring or shaking every day.
- Once it reaches your desired spiciness (and the sugar has dissolved), strain through a muslin-lined sieve and pour into sterilised bottles*.
Tip *Sterilise your bottles for 5 minutes in a medium-hot oven (190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5)
- Serve as a warming liqueur, or use as the base for a Gingerbread Fizz cocktail, topping it up with chilled Cava or Prosecco.