Lemon and ginger steamed pudding
Prep time: 30 mins
Photograph by Martin Poole
Prep time: 30 mins
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 3 unwaxed lemons
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 150g granulated sugar
- 4 balls of stem ginger in syrup, drained
- 175g soft unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 large free range eggs
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- a generous pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- seeds of 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 tbsp milk
Step by step
Make the jam up to a day ahead.
- Finely grate the zest of the 3 lemons into a large bowl. Add the brown sugar, rub together, then cover and set aside.
- Next make a lemon jam – remove the white pith from the zested lemons with a sharp knife. Discard the pith. Slice the lemons and pick out any seeds. Blend the lemon slices in a food processor until you have a smooth pulp. Add the lemon pulp to a medium saucepan with the granulated sugar and stir, over a low heat, until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a shallow bowl. Finely chop one of the balls of ginger and add to the jam. Leave to cool and thicken.
- Generously grease a 1.2 litre pudding basin. Pour in the cooled lemon jam.
Finely chop the remaining ginger and add to the bowl with lemon zest and sugar. Add the butter, eggs, flour, dry spices and cardamom. Stir until smooth, then whisk in the milk. Spoon into the basin and level with the back of a spoon. Cover with the basin lid, or make a lid from a double layer of foil or baking paper and make a handle with some string. Steam for 2 hours. Test the pudding by inserting a skewer into the middle. If it's still wet, steam for 10-15 minutes more and test again. Turn out onto a cake stand or plate. Serve with lashings of custard.TipTop this pudding with candied lemons, if you like: dissolve 250g caster sugar in 250ml water over a low heat. Add 2 lemons, sliced, in a single layer and simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.