Lemon cheesecake gingernuts
Makes 20 | prep 40 mins | total time
- 50g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 275g plain flour
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp treacle
- 1 large egg
For the filling:
- 50g full-fat cream cheese
- 250g icing sugar (you may need a little more)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
Make the biscuits 2 days ahead; store in an airtight container and assemble a few hours before eating. The biscuits freeze well (before filling).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4, and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Put the butter and flour into a large mixing bowl and use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs (or whiz to crumbs in a food processor).
- Add the ginger, bicarbonate of soda, caster sugar and brown sugar and stir in with a knife (or whiz again).
Tip Crumble any leftover biscuits over ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce for a speedy pud.
- Gently warm the syrup and treacle in the microwave for about 10 seconds on high, cool slightly, then beat the egg into the warm mixture. Mix into the dry ingredients with a knife (or whiz in the food processor again) until a dough forms. You may need to bring it together with your hands.
- Roll the dough into 40 cherry-sized balls and place on the prepared baking trays.
- Gently flatten the biscuits; make sure they are spaced about 3cm apart as they will spread during baking. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits are slightly cracked. Leave to cool on their trays – they will crisp up as they cool – do not move them to a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the filling, in a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and icing sugar. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest, then beat well to combine.
- Once the biscuits are completely cold, spoon the creamy filling onto the underside of a biscuit, then press another biscuit on top. Repeat with the other biscuits.