Mulled wine Christmas cake
Mulled wine Christmas cakeSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
This takes its inspiration from the flavours of mulled wine – port gives more flavour here
- 400g mixed dried fruit
- 1 x 125g pack Taste The Difference dried morello cherries
- 125g dried cranberries
- 50g cut mixed peel
- 300ml ruby port
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 heaped tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ tbsp mixed spice
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 100g plain flour
- 70g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g soft unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 170g dark soft brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Put the dried fruit and mixed peel in a saucepan with the port and heat until just simmering. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl; stir in the zests and all the spices. Cover and soak for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 140°C, fan 120°C, gas 1, grease a deep 20cm round tin with butter and line with a double layer of baking paper.
Sift the flour, almonds and a good pinch of salt into a very large mixing bowl. Add the butter, sugar and eggs and beat with an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the fruit mixture, along with its soaking liquid.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, level with a spoon. Bake on a low shelf for one hour, then cover with foil and cook for a further 2-2 1/2 hours, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Tip Make it gluten-free: substitute gluten-free plain flour, adding 1 teaspoon xanthan gum at the same time.