Pineapple relishSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
The Hang Fire Barbecue Girls' pineapple relish recipe adds tang and spice to your barbecue. It's particularly good with lamb
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 500g fresh ripe pineapple, or tinned, finely diced
- 150ml pineapple juice
- 1-2 red chillies (see above), deseeded and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp celery seeds or 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- juice and grated zest of ½ lemon
Combine all the ingredients for the chow chow in a large heavy-based saucepan. Bring up to simmering point and simmer, uncovered, on a low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. If it looks too wet, turn up the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes until the mixture reduces. Keep stirring to prevent sticking.
Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Sterilise your jars for 5 minutes in a medium-hot oven (190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5).