Candied fruit & walnut brioche wreath with fig jam from California Walnuts
Serves 8 | prep 20 mins | total time
- 450g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 50g caster sugar
- 100ml whole milk
- 5 medium eggs
- 190g butter diced and softened
- 50g mixed peel
- 7g walnuts, chopped
- 125g fig jam
- 25g walnuts, chopped, for sprinkling
- Place the flour in the bowl of a food mixer fitted with a dough hook and add the salt to one side, and the yeast and sugar to the other side. Mix all together with the dough hook.
- Heat the milk until it is just warm (but not too hot) and add to the flour mix with the mixer running on medium. Add 4 eggs, one at a time to the bowl and mix well after each addition. Mix for 10 minutes.
- Gradually add in the butter, a couple of cubes at a time, until combined and the dough is very soft, this may take about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides and add the mixed peel and walnuts until evenly distributed. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for 1½- 2 hours until doubled in size, then place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Divide the dough into 8 even portions and roll into balls. Place in a circle on the tray with 1-2cm gap between each ball. Cover with clingfilm and leave for 30 minutes until doubled in size and the balls just join together.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4. Brush the brioche lightly with the remaining beaten egg. Finely chop the remaining walnuts and sprinkle over the brioche. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly and serve the jam in a bowl in the centre of the wreath.
Tip Try serving with any flavour of jam or clotted cream for spreading.