Aubergine with Lancashire cheese, walnuts & yogurt
Serves 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- a knob of butter
- 2 good pinches mild chilli powder, plus extra to spinkle
- 100g walnut pieces
- 2 medium aubergines
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 100g Lancashire or Wensleydale cheese, crumbled
For the dressing:
- 5 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 rounded tsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp chopped parsley or mint, or a mixture of the two
Toast the walnuts, griddle the aubergines and make the dressing a few hours ahead
- In a small nonstick frying pan, melt the butter with the chilli powder and, when sizzling, add the walnut pieces. Toss for 4-5 minutes or until well toasted and tip into a bowl.
- Preheat the griddle (or barbecue). Trim the aubergines and slice them lengthways into ½ cm slices, then score the flesh on one side.
- Brush the slice with some of the oil and griddle (or barbecue) on both sides over a medium heat, in batches, until soft and browned, Toss in a bowl with the remaining olive oil and season. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and season. Scatter the aubergine slices with the cheese and walnuts and drizzle with the dressing. Finish with a sprinkle of chilli powder.