Makes 15 squares | prep 25 mins | total time
- 225g whole rolled oats
- 250g plain flour
- 350g light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 x 100g dark chocolate chips
- 150g cook’s Belgian dark chocolate (72% cocoa solids), chopped
- 125g pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 x 397g tin Carnation caramel, stirred
- 50g cook’s Belgian dark chocolate (72% cocoa solids), melted
Make 3 days in advance; store in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4, and line a 30cm x 20cm tin with baking paper.
- Pulse the rolled oats in a food processor for a few seconds until slightly broken up.
- In a bowl combine the oats, flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in the melted butter until it coats the mixture. Spoon two-thirds into the tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Scatter over the chocolate chips, the dark chocolate pieces and 100g chopped pecans. Spoon 50g caramel into a bowl and reserve for decoration. Drizzle the rest over the mixture in the baking tin then sprinkle with the remaining oat mix. Scatter the remaining pecans on top and press down firmly.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until just golden. Leave to cool completely in the tin before turning out onto a board. Drizzle with the chocolate and the reserved caramel. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes until the toppings have set, then slice into squares.