Pumpkin soup with tomato, corn and coriander salsa
Pumpkin soup with tomato, corn and coriander salsaSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
- 50g butter
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 750g peeled and deseeded pumpkin (or butternut squash), chopped
- 250g sweetcorn kernels, fresh or frozen (and defrosted), or creamed-style corn
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lime
For the salsa:
- a small knob of butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp sweetcorn kernels, fresh or frozen (and defrosted)
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- zest of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp crumbled Wensleydale cheese or feta
Make the soup up to 2 days ahead; chill. It can also be frozen.
Heat the butter in a pan, add the shallots; cook for 10 minutes, covered.
Add the pumpkin, sweetcorn and the stock. Bring to simmering point, reduce the heat and gently cook, partially covered, for 30-35 minutes.
For the salsa, heat the butter and oil together. When sizzling, add the sweetcorn for 7-8 minutes. Cool;
mix with the other salsa ingredients.
Tip If you would like this to be a gluten-free recipe, please ensure that your vegetable stock is guaranteed gluten-free.
Whiz the soup in a blender until smooth. Reheat, adding the lime juice and seasoning. Ladle into warm bowls; add a spoonful of the salsa to each one.
Three easy toasties