Pork meatballs in a rich tomato sauce
Serves 4 | prep 15 minutes | total time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 750g pack 20% fat British pork mince by Sainsbury's
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 75g Parmesan, grated
- 14g parsley, chopped
- 1 x 390g carton chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 350g spaghetti
- In a nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over a medium heat and cook the onion for 7-8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mix with the pork mince, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and nearly all the parsley. Divide and shape into 40 balls. Place half on a tray and freeze for later use. Once frozen, you can put them in a freezer bag.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the meatballs over a medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes, turning regularly, until cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, sugar and 200ml of water to the pan. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 15 minutes, until thick. Add the meatballs for the last 5 minutes and season.
Tip To give your sauce a kick, add a generous pinch of dried chilli flakes to the sauce before serving.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a pan of lightly salted water following the pack instructions. Drain well.
- Split the spaghetti between bowls, top with the meatballs and sauce. Garnish with the rest of the parsley.