Turkey meatballs with rigatoni
Serves 4 | total time
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs of rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 courgette, coarsely grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 x 500g pack lean turkey thigh mince
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300g rigatoni or penne pasta
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a frying pan. Gently fry the onion for 6-8 minutes, covered, until soft. Stir in the rosemary and garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Transfer half to a bowl. Take the pan off the heat.
- Squeeze the courgette to remove moisture; add to the cooled onion in the bowl with the lemon zest. Add the turkey and season. Mix and shape into 24 meatballs. Chill on a plate in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, return the frying pan and remaining onions to the heat. Add the tomatoes, sugar and 200ml water; season. Bring to the boil; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions. Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan. Brown the meatballs in batches for 6-8 minutes; cook in the sauce for 5 minutes; serve with the pasta.