Trout with a gremolata crumb
Prep time: 25 mins
Recipe photograph by Sam Folan
Gremolata is a punchy Italian parsley, lemon and garlic seasoning. We’ve mixed it through breadcrumbs as a zesty topping for Scottish trout, or try it on other fish fillets
Prep time: 25 mins
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
Abi is our former Junior Food Editor. An obsessive foodie with a sweet tooth, she is happiest when baking and is a firm believer that there is always room for dessert (preferably following a big bowl of pasta)See more of Abigail Spooner’s recipes
- 75g sourdough (crusts removed)
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 x 30g pack parsley (including stalks), roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g new potatoes, halved
- 2 x 240g packs Loch Trout fillets, skinned
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 x 200g packs Tenderstem broccoli
- 25g butter
For the caper mayo
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 75g mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice (use the zested lemon above)
Step by step
Make the gremolata crumb and the caper mayo a few hours ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- For the gremolata, cut the bread into chunks and put into a food processor with the garlic, lemon zest, parsley and seasoning. Pulse to a crumb, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and process again.
- Mix all the caper mayo ingredients together in a bowl and season with black pepper. Set aside.
- Boil the new potatoes in salted water for 18-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the trout fillets on a lined baking tray. Season and spread each one with 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard before pressing on the crumb topping. Toss the broccoli with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and seasoning and add to another large oven tray. Roast the trout and broccoli on separate oven shelves for 12-14 minutes until the fish is cooked through and the gremolata topping is pale golden. The broccoli should be just tender, with the heads starting to crisp up.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and return to the pan with the butter. Roughly crush with a fork and season to taste.
- Serve the gremolata-crumbed trout, crushed new potatoes and Tenderstem broccoli with the caper mayo on the side.