Spring veg spelt pizza
Serves 2-4 | prep 35 mins | total time
For the dough
- 250g wholemeal spelt flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp dried active yeast
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the bowl
For the beetroot chutney
- 1 x 250g pack cooked beetroot in natural juices, drained
- 1 red onion, coarsely grated
- 1 small red apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 100g light brown soft sugar
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
For the topping
- 125g ricotta
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 tbsp finely grated Parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 6 stalks Tenderstem broccoli
- 50g freshly podded peas (or frozen)
- a handful of rocket, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
The beetroot chutney makes more than you need (you’ll have about two-thirds of a 370ml jar left over), and will keep in a sterilised jar* in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. Delicious in sandwiches and cheese toasties, or serve with pâté.
- For the dough, mix the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Dissolve the honey in 125ml warm water and add to the bowl with the olive oil. Mix to make a rough dough then tip out onto a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. Transfer to a clean, oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- For the chutney, reserve a small beet for the topping; chop the rest into 5mm dice and put in a saucepan with the remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring often, until the beets break down and the chutney is sticky. Transfer to a bowl, or sterilised jar* if you plan to keep the leftovers.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C, fan 220°C, gas 9. Mix the ricotta, garlic, 3 tablespoons of Parmesan, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and some crushed black pepper. Finely slice the reserved beetroot. Knock the dough back in the bowl and turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut in half and roll each piece out to make a thin pizza base, about 18cm x 30cm. Transfer to separate floured baking sheets and spread a quarter of the ricotta mix over each base, leaving a 1cm border.
Tip *Sterilise your jars for 5 minutes in a medium-hot oven (190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5)
- Boil the broccoli for 2-3 minutes to blanch; refresh under cold water and pat dry on kitchen paper. Top each pizza with the broccoli and sliced beetroot, then add dollops of leftover ricotta mix and 2-3 tablespoons of beetroot chutney per pizza, in small spoonfuls. Scatter with the rest of the Parmesan, drizzle each with 1⁄2 tablespoon of olive oil then cook for 15 minutes until the base is crisp.
- Meanwhile, add the peas to a pan of boiling water; cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Put the rocket in a blender or small processor with the pine nuts and 4 tablespoons of oil; season. Blend until finely chopped. Drain and refresh the peas under cold water, add to the blender and pulse once or twice, so some peas stay whole; season. Drizzle over the pizzas; scatter with a handful of rocket.