Spanish-style hake with almond rice
Prep time: 20 mins
Recipe photograph by Toby Scott
Add a bit of Spanish sunshine to your midweek meals with this speedy fish dish
Prep time: 20 mins
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
Tamsin learned the tricks of the trade from cookery legend Delia Smith. A trusted recipe writer for the magazine for over 25 years, she is now our Senior Food Producer, overseeing testing and editing to ensure that every recipe tastes great, is straightforward to follow and works without fail. In her home kitchen, Tamsin creates fuss-free flavour-packed food for friends and family, with baking being her ultimate form of comfort cookingSee more of Tamsin Burnett-Hall’s recipes
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 120g basmati rice
- 350ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 20g flaked almonds
- 2 skinless hake fillets (or any white fish)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced, optional
- 100ml dry sherry, eg fino (or dry vermouth or white wine)
- 150g roasted peppers from a jar, sliced
- 125g sugar snap peas, to serve
Step by step
- Heat 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden. Stir in the rice, followed by 275ml of the stock (reserve the rest for the sauce) and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, stir then cover the pan and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, dry-fry the almonds until golden in a nonstick frying pan, then tip into a bowl. Pat the hake fillets dry with kitchen paper and season lightly. Heat 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil in the pan then add the hake. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side over a medium-high heat, depending on thickness, until cooked through. Remove to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Add another 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil to the pan, with the garlic, and let it sizzle for just a few seconds before pouring in the sherry. Bubble briskly for 1 minute, then add the peppers and the reserved stock. Bubble for another 2-3 minutes, until the sauce is slightly syrupy. Cook the sugar snap peas.
- Stir most of the almonds into the rice, fluffing it up with a fork. Divide between the 2 plates, with the fish. Spoon the sherry-pepper sauce over the hake and rice, add the sugar snaps and scatter with the remaining almonds to serve.