Sloppy Joe bowls
Sloppy Joe bowlsSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Sloppy Joes are an American classic – lip-smacking minced beef served in a burger bun. Here, we've turned the idea into something heartier that you can eat in a bowl using nachos to scoop. If you prefer, you can serve this with rice; in the traditional burger buns, or in wraps
- 1 tbsp oil (any kind)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 1 x 30g pack fajita spice mix
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 410g tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 415g tin baked beans
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2-4 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 x 200g pack tortilla chips
- about 100g cheddar cheese, grated, plus toppings of your choice
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or so, until softened and translucent.
- Add the mince, breaking up big lumps with a spoon, and cook until browned all over. Mix in the fajita spice mix and cook for a minute until fragrant, then add the chopped tomatoes, drained kidney beans and the baked beans in their sauce. Add 200ml water (just half-fill your empty tomato tin). Crumble in the stock cube and stir, then add the BBQ sauce to taste. Season generously, bring to a simmer, then let it bubble for about 20 minutes, until you have a thick but saucy consistency.
- Ladle into bowls and nestle the tortilla chips around the edge for scooping. Scatter with the cheese, plus any other toppings you fancy.
Check that your chosen fajita spice mix, baked beans, stock, barbecue sauce and tortilla chips are gluten free, if required.
Tip Let the family top their bowls with favourite ingredients – try soured cream or guacamole, avocado slices, crispy onions, gherkins or sliced green chilli for extra heat.