- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- a thumb-size piece of root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 6 tsp mild curry powder
- 11⁄2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 x 225g packs frozen raw jumbo king prawns
- 2 x 300g packs fresh (ready-cooked) rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into short, thin strips
- 2 medium carrots, julienned or peeled into ribbons with a peeler
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- a handful of coriander, roughly chopped
Step by step
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, shaoxing rice wine, garlic and ginger, with 5 teaspoons of the curry powder and 1⁄2 tablespoon of the oil. Set the sauce aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large wok or frying pan. Add the frozen prawns and fry over a high heat for 2 minutes, then add the remaining 1 teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch of salt. Fry, stirring regularly, until the prawns are pink and cooked, then remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the sauce to the liquid left in the wok and fry for 1 minute, then add the noodles and toss well so they're completely coated. Add the red pepper, carrots and spring onions and return the prawns to the pan. Cook for 1 minute then squeeze over the lemon juice, scatter with the coriander and serve.