Mexican streetcorn hot dogs
Serves 12 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 4 sweetcorn on the cob
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely diced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
- juice of 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- 100g mayonnaise
- 12 jumbo frankfurters
- 12 jumbo hot dog rolls, split
Cook the corn and make the salsa up to 24 hours in advance, keep them covered in the fridge.
- Add the corn cobs to a pan of unsalted boiling water and cook for 8-9 minutes or until the kernels are tender. Refresh under cold water, then drain well and leave until cool enough to handle.
- Stand the cooked corn upright on a board, then carefully run a knife down the sides to remove the kernels. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the corn kernels until lightly browned. Set the corn aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped chilli, cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander, lime juice, Parmesan and mayonnaise and add the cooled corn. Season to taste, adding more cayenne, if you wish.
Tip TO COOK YOUR HOT DOGS
Frankfurters are already cooked, they just need reheating to serve. Follow the instructions on the pack and either boil, grill or chargrill the hot dog sausages until piping hot, depending on how you prefer
- Cook the frankfurters (see kitchen secret), put in the rolls and top with the sweetcorn mixture. Serve with extra coriander and lime wedges.