Fresh tomato sauce
Makes Makes about 500ml | prep 30 mins | total time
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg very ripe tomatoes
- a selection of herbs, such as basil, chives and parsley
Freeze for up to 6 months.
- Roughly chop the onion and garlic then put them into a large pan with the oil. Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes to soften.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and tear the herbs into big pieces. Add these to the pan, put on the lid and cook over a low heat for 1 hour until everything is soft.
- Press the mixture through a sieve over a bowl (discard the pulp). Rinse out the pan; add the sieved liquid. Simmer until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half.
- Season well. Cool completely before freezing.
This is my go-to sauce when I have a glut of tomatoes. Great with pasta or meatballs