French-style chicken and fennel braise
Serves 2 | total time
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, halved
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 pancetta rashers, cut into strips
- 2 small chicken breast fillets
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200g salad potatoes, halved
- ½ x 200g bag spring greens or shredded savoy cabbage
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the shallots, garlic, fennel and pancetta. Cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables start to lightly caramelise.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until coloured. Add the tomatoes and 100ml water, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes. Add the greens and cook for 5 minutes more, then drain well and season.
- Serve the chicken and fennel braise with the potatoes and greens on the side.