Cumin, carrot and lamb tagine
Cumin, carrot and lamb tagineSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Adding a little lamb for flavour rather than it being the main ingredient of this dish means vitamin-rich carrots get a starring role
- 1 x 450g pack extra-lean diced lamb
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 3 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 500ml hot vegetable stock (or water)
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 500g pack Chantenay carrots, scrubbed
- ½ x 31g pack coriander, stalks finely chopped and leaves left whole
Make up to 2 days in advance and chill, or freeze.
Toss the lamb with the ground spices, 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds, the vinegar and some black pepper. Cover; marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
Heat the oil in the slow cooker on the fry or sauté setting, or in a nonstick frying pan, and fry the onion with a pinch of salt on a medium heat until tender but not taking on any colour, about 15 minutes. Add the lamb to the pan with the spice marinade; fry for 5-10 minutes, until the lamb is turning brown.
Add the dates, vegetable stock or water and chickpeas and bring to a gentle simmer. Transfer to the slow cooker if you used a pan. Add the slow cooker lid and cook for 4 hours on low.
Tip Use gluten-free stock if required.
- Add the carrots, 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and half the coriander. Cook for 1-2 hours until tender. Remove the lid for the last 30 minutes to reduce the sauce. Season. Scatter with the coriander; serve with quinoa or couscous.
Tip OVEN COOKING: Cook for 2 hours in step 3, and another 1 hour in step 4.